In this series we scale-back and look at the broader technical picture to gain a bit more perspective on where we are in trend. The Australian Dollar is down more than 1.6% against the US Dollar from the monthly highs with Aussie trading within a critical technical range. These are the updated targets and invalidation levels that matter on the AUD/USD weekly price chart. Review this week’s Strategy Webinar for an in-depth breakdown of this setup and more.
New to Forex Trading? Get started with this Free Beginners Guide
AUD/USD Weekly Price Chart
Notes: In my previous AUD/USD Weekly Technical Outlook we noted that, “The broader risk remains weighted to the downside sub-7233 for now, with a break / close below yearly open support needed to mark resumption of the broader downtrend.” Aussie has continued to respect this support zone with price trading within a well-defined range between key technical zones.
Critical support remains at 7020/42 – a region defined by the yearly open, the 50% retracement of the 2019 range and the yearly close-low. A break / close below is needed to mark resumption of the broader down trend exposing the 2016 low / low-week close at 6827/55. Resistance stands with the June trendline / 61.8% retracement of the January decline at 7184 – a breach above this zone would shift the focus back towards the 100-day moving average at 7246 and broader bearish invalidation at 7295-7327.
For a complete breakdown of Michael’s trading strategy, review his Foundations of Technical Analysis series on Building a Trading Strategy
Bottom line: Aussie is trading within a critical range between 7020-7184 – and we’re looking for the breakout to offer guidance on our medium-term outlook. From a trading standpoint, the immediate risk is lower within this range but look for a reaction on a drop towards yearly open support. I’ll publish and updated AUD/USD Price Outlook once we get further clarity in near-term price action.
Even the most seasoned traders need a reminder every now and then-Avoid these Mistakes in your trading
AUD/USD Trader Sentiment
- A summary of IG Client Sentiment shows traders are net-long AUD/USD – the ratio stands at +1.46 (59.3% of traders are long) – weak bearish reading
- The percentage of traders net-long is now its highest since April 1st
- Long positions are 8.3% higher than yesterday and 20.6% higher from last week
- Short positions are 7.5% lower than yesterday and 22.3% lower from last week
- We typically take a contrarian view to crowd sentiment, and the fact traders are net-long suggests Aussie prices may continue to fall. Traders are further net-long than yesterday & last week, and the combination of current positioning and recent changes gives us a stronger AUD/USD-bearish contrarian trading bias from a sentiment standpoint.
See how shifts in AUD/USD retail positioning are impacting trend- Learn more about sentiment!
Relevant Australian / US Economic Data Releases
Economic Calendar – latest economic developments and upcoming event risk. Learn more about how we Trade the News in our Free Guide!
Previous Weekly Technical Charts
Learn how to Trade with Confidence in our Free Trading Guide
— Written by Michael Boutros, Technical Currency Strategist with DailyFX
Follow Michael on Twitter @MBForex