In this series we scale-back and look at the broader technical picture to gain a bit more perspective on where we are in trend. The Australian Dollar is up more than 6.5% off the monthly lows after briefly dipping to levels not seen since March of 2009. The advance is now targeting the first major resistance hurdle and a make-or-break level for the bulls. Here are the key targets & invalidation levels that matter on the AUD/USD weekly chart. Review this week’s Strategy Webinar for an in-depth breakdown of this setup and more.
New to Forex Trading? Get started with this Free Beginners Guide
AUD/USD Weekly Price Chart
Notes: In last month’s Australian Dollar Weekly Technical Outlook we continued to highlight the descending pitchfork formation we’ve been tracking off the 2017 & 2018 highs with our ‘bottom line’ focus lower while below 7385”. Aussie briefly broke below a critical support zone at 6828/55 before posting a massive outside-weekly reversal higher amid ongoing bullish divergence in momentum.
The advance is now targeting confluence resistance just higher at the 76.4% retracement / upper parallel around 7240– a breach / close above this threshold is needed to validate a larger reversal with such a scenario targeting 7327 and 7440. IF price has put in a near-term low, losses should not surpass support at the October swing low / 2019 low-day close at 7005/21 (bullish invalidation).
For a complete breakdown of Michael’s trading strategy, review his Foundations of Technical Analysis series on Building a Trading Strategy
Bottom line:The AUD/USD reversal is approaching the first major resistance hurdle, and a make-or-break pivot just higher near 7240s – look for a reaction there IF reached. From a trading standpoint, the focus remains on a stretch into this region with a close above needed to suggest that a larger turn is underway. The immediate advance looks a bit vulnerable so look for pullbacks to hold above the monthly open. I’ll publish an updated AUD/USD technical outlook once we get further clarity on near-term price action.
Even the most seasoned traders need a reminder every now and then- Avoid these Mistakes in your trading
AUD/USD Trader Sentiment
- A summary of IG Client Sentiment shows traders are net-long AUD/USD – the ratio stands at +1.19 (+54.2% of traders are long) – weak bearish reading
- Traders have remained net-long since December 4th; price has moved 1.7% lower since then
- Long positions are 9.7% lower than yesterday and 17.5% lower from last week
- Short positions are 17.7% higher than yesterday and 85.0% higher from last week
- We typically take a contrarian view to crowd sentiment, and the fact traders are net-long suggests AUD/USD prices may continue to fall. Yet traders are less net-long than yesterday and compared with last week. Recent changes in sentiment warn that the current AUD/USD price trend may soon reverse higher despite the fact traders remain net-long.
See how shifts in AUD/USD retail positioning are impacting trend- Learn more about sentiment!
Relevant AUD/USD Data Releases
Economic Calendar – latest economic developments and upcoming event risk. Learn more about how we Trade the News in our Free Guide!
Previous Weekly Technical Charts
Learn how to Trade with Confidence in our Free Trading Guide
— Written by Michael Boutros, Technical Currency Strategist with DailyFX
Follow Michael on Twitter @MBForex