The Canadian Dollar is up more than 4% against the US Dollar since the May highs in USD/CAD with the recent sell-off in price taking Loonie into critical pivot zone. These are the updated targets and invalidation levels that matter on the Loonie (USD/CAD) weekly price chart. Review my latestWeekly Strategy Webinar for an in-depth breakdown of this gold price setup and more.
New to Forex Trading? Get started with this Free Beginners Guide
USD/CAD Price Chart – Loonie Weekly
Notes: In my last Loonie Weekly Price Outlook we highlighted that, “The focus remains on a drop towards key support at 1.3052/68 on the back of last week’s reversal. From a trading standpoint, look to reduce short-exposure / lower protective stops on a move towards the yearly range lows- look for a reaction there.” The 100% extension of the December decline extends the range to 1.2972-1.3052 and USD/CAD has been testing this support zone for the past three weeks.
Note that the 2017 trendline rests just lower and a break / close below this threshold is needed to validate a break of the yearly opening-range with such a scenario targeting 1.2782 and the 61.8% retracement at 1.2674. Weekly resistance stands at 1.3274 with broader bearish invalidation at the yearly high-week reversal close at 1.3371.
For a complete breakdown of Michael’s trading strategy, review his Foundations of Technical Analysis series on Building a Trading Strategy
Bottom line: The immediate focus is on a reaction of this key zone at 1.2972-1.3052 – watch the weekly close. From a trading standpoint, look to reduce short-exposure / lower protective stops in this zone. IF this is a break of the yearly range-low and price is indeed heading lower, intra-week spikes should be capped by 1.3274. I’ll publish an updated Loonie Price Outlook once we get further clarity in near-term USD/CAD price action.
Even the most seasoned traders need a reminder every now and then-Avoid these Mistakes in your trading
Loonie Trader Sentiment (USD/CAD)
- A summary of IG Client Sentiment shows traders are net-long USD/CAD – the ratio stands at +1.5 (60.0% of traders are long) – bearish reading
- Traders have remained net-long since June 26th; price has moved 1.0% lower since then
- Long positions are 0.9% higher than yesterday and 12.6% lower from last week
- Short positions are 10.5% lower than yesterday and 12.3% higher from last week
- We typically take a contrarian view to crowd sentiment, and the fact traders are net-long suggests USD/CAD prices may continue to fall. Traders are further net-long than yesterday & last week, and the combination of current positioning and recent changes gives us a stronger USD/CAD-bearish contrarian trading bias from a sentiment standpoint.
See how shifts in Loonie retail positioning are impacting trend- Learn more about sentiment!
Key US / Canada Data Releases
Economic Calendar – latest economic developments and upcoming event risk. Learn more about how we Trade the News in our Free Guide!
Previous Weekly Technical Charts
Learn how to Trade with Confidence in our Free Trading Guide
— Written by Michael Boutros, Technical Currency Strategist with DailyFX
Follow Michael on Twitter @MBForex